A sample text widget

Etiam pulvinar consectetur dolor sed malesuada. Ut convallis euismod dolor nec pretium. Nunc ut tristique massa.

Nam sodales mi vitae dolor ullamcorper et vulputate enim accumsan. Morbi orci magna, tincidunt vitae molestie nec, molestie at mi. Nulla nulla lorem, suscipit in posuere in, interdum non magna.

Minutes – July 18, 2016

Ray School Local School Council Meeting

July 18, 2016 @ 6:15pm, Ray cafeteria

Minutes

Call to order & LSC roll call. Attendees: Megan Thole, Silvia Arbelaez-Ellis, Kara Scott, Ramona Burress, Andy Carter, Fran Grossman, Scott Shurtliff, Megan Kruis, Sonia Vergara. Absent: Eleni Lemberis, Anita Walker.   Total: 9, Quorum met.  Begun at 6:15pm.

Approve agenda. Silvia: Suggested adding 3A: Move to Closed Session if needed.

Principal report. Sonia joined at 6:25pm.

Fran:  We can vote and I also want to have a letter that goes to CPS to say this budget is unacceptable. We can write a letter.  I want something that can be picked up to write about our children but also other community children.

Scott:  I share same sentiment on CPS budgeting.  I also think we should advocate for Ray to get appropriate funds.  If you want to bring a ready wording with a specific proposal, then I will look at it.

Fran:  I hear what you are saying, and we could have something for next meeting.

Silvia:  I think we should vote because we don’t have anything ready.

Ramona:  I’d like to revisit the bucket positions because I’d rather lose a special than lose the security that Mr. Walker and Mr. Washington provided.

Megan:  I would be concerned to take the Arts Position.  I asked for an Arts Position to be funded.   Then if we cut that position…  If we close a Specials Position then they have qualifications and tenure and they could bump another teacher out.  As for the Career Services, we could vote on a small amount of money at the beginning of the year and then allocate more as we have funding available.

Megan K:  Are the Career Services also part of Restorative Justice practice?

Megan:  Yes.  Next meeting is August 11th.

Fran:  I want something that speaks to respecting our Principal and the community of kids.

Katie G:  I can help.

Megan:  All the online subscriptions (last year $15,000), no money for it.  Hyde Park Art Center, Children’s Choir.  These are the programs we cannot do to lack of funding.

Fran:  Can we get a listing of the online subscriptions?

Silvia:  What else are we losing?

Megan:  HP Arts Center – $3,600; Children’s Choir – $6,000.  We could also have them fee-based and then have a scholarship.

Vote for budget. Scott:  I motion to vote for the budget as is on page 4.  And if additional funding does not come through, we will close the grant-based Arts position.  Andy Seconded.

All in favor: 7; No: 2:  Abstain: 0.

Public Comment:

Katie G:  Went to a meeting and Sarah Karp suggested and encouraged LSC’s to support principal and also to take elected positions seriously to go public with what is happening.

Any SGSA rollover?

Megan:  We have about $12,000.

Ended Meeting at 7:30 pm

 

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>