Ray School Local School Council Meeting
Thursday, February 11, 2016 @6:15 pm, Ray cafeteria
- Call to Order & LSC Roll Call: Present: Megan Thole, Silvia Ellis,, Eleni Lemberis, Scott Shurtliff, Kara Scott, Jenny Wejman, Andy Carter, Mosea Harris, Cynthia Horth. Absent: Fran Grossman; Chris Allen, Ramona Burress. Quorum at 9. Time began: 6:20pm
- Approve Agenda. Eleni Moved to accept Agenda, Jenny seconded. In Favor: Unanimous.
- Principal’s Report and Vote on budget Items, if necessary (Megan Thole)
I’ll move to the Budget and then come back to discuss CIWP priorities. On Tuesday, we were called to a Principal’s meeting where they discussed how the cuts were going to happen. They are making cuts in a two-prong approach. One is the Student-based budgeting ($53m) and the seconds is straight across the board ($35million) to offset the total of $88million deficit. To offset costs, they are redistributing funds supplemental Title 1 and Title 2 funds. CPS held extra SGSA funds. Earlier in the year Ray expected to get the extra SGSA funds based on the population. Instead, those were held.
The impact of the $50M is $126/student which equals $80,528 for Ray. That is offset by Title II discretionary funds of $34,478 (a recalculation of the formula) and also offset by the SGSA Carryover from FY15 of $19,367. That leaves an impact of $26,684. The Student-based budgeting impact is $88 per student which is $56,355. Combined Impact of both adjustments is a decrease $83,039 to Ray’s budget (26,684+56,355).
Position Pointer holds funds for any changes in position. The available funds (now we are in February) we have about the $80,000 in position and benefits that can be applied to this impact.
Scott: To sum it up, it sounds like we are spending our buffer money. Now what happens if something else goes wrong? What would happen?
Megan: We do have some other funds available that we could use in the box of Available Funds.
Cynthia: When do they need this money?
Megan: On Tuesday – this Tuesday.
Scott: Thanks for the clear explanation. And I move that we approve this.
[Funding sources from Megan’s report show the $83,039 coming from following: SBB Regular Position Pointer of $38,116, SBB Benefits Pointer of $43,492 and SGSA Miscellaneous of $1,459.62.]
Seconded by Jenny. All in Favor: Unanimous
Megan: We are in the third and last year of 3 copiers from Ricoh. This is rental, service and toner.
Andy Motioned to approve the use of $5,816 to pay for the contract, Jenny seconded.
All in Favor: Unanimous.
- Opportunity for Public Comment* – about the Budget.
Ken Newman: Whether it is classroom supplies or re-paving the asphalt on the playground. Do you have money for this? And field trips?
Megan: Yes we have some money for supplies and for field trips.
- Vote on LSC candidate forum date and any other related items.
Silvia: There were a few dates but it sounds like March 31 is the best day.
Andy moves that the LSC Forum be on Thursday, March 31 at 6pm. Mosea Seconds. All in favor: Unanimous.
- Vote on moving May LSC meeting from May 12 to May 5 in order to approve LSC election results within CPS timeframes.
Andy moves to make the LSC meeting from May 12 to May 5th. Jenny seconds. All in Favor: Unanimous.
- LSC announcements, including committee reports if applicable. (LSC committees include communications , school climate, CIWP, budget, PPLC, facilities, gardening, safety & security)
- Communications (Cynthia). Do you feel for communications? Let me know.
- School climate. None.
- CIWP. (Kara) Next meeting will be Wed, March 2, 9am.
- Budget. None.
- PPLC. Jenny: We had a great day on Friday. Luke Albrecht did a great presentation on math. The literacy committee gave great work and the whole day was a great Professional Development day.
- Facilities. None.
- Gardening. Andy: Applications were accepted for the garden plots. We will be looking at those
- Safety & security. None.
- Discuss Principal Evaluation process and vote on related items, if needed.
Silvia: This is a new process and so we need to decide how we are doing this.
- Vote on Previous Minutes.
Andy moves to approve the minutes from the three meetings. Mosea seconds. All in Favor: 8; No: 0; Abstain: 1.
- Opportunity for Public Comment*
Ken Newman: Bixler Playlot Park Advisory Council. Could we use the space at Ray for a monthly meeting. Maybe during the LSC meeting?
Megan responded: Yes we can see if something will work for that.
Nichols Park: The University will put some money to revamp the playgrounds.
Midway: Should try and have some skaters during school or after school.
Hyde Park Chamber of Commerce: Meeting February 17 at A10. Opportunity to speak to the business community about the budget cuts.
Bret Harte: I’m concerned about the new construction project that will affect Bret Harte. This may impact Ray.
- Adjourn. Meeting ended at 7:23 pm. Mosea moved; Jenny Seconds. All in Favor.
*Each member of the public that wishes to speak is asked to do so within 2 minutes or less.